Factionalism in party a major hurdle: Rahul tells Congress cadre
Nagpur: Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said grassroots workers of the party would be encouraged to contest in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls and in Assembly elections which are due in some states.
Rahul today held a series of closed-door one-to-one meetings with district-level party leaders from the Vidarbha region. Even senior Congress leaders did not have access to those interactions.
Rahul said during the interactions that nominations to contest elections will be invited from grassroots workers and decided on a case-to-case basis, Congress workers who were part of the huddle said.
Earlier, Rahul arrived here at around 9.30 am and headed straightaway to Surabardi to meet district-level party leaders.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavhan and state unit president Manikrao Thakre were present at the venue, although they did not take part in the talks, a party worker said.
"Rahul... Patiently listened to our problems and advised us on the pressing issues," a Congress worker said.
Rahul pointed out that grassroots party workers had a major role to play in the Congress organisation, he said.
"Rahul said factionalism was a major hurdle for the party and stressed on the need for better communication between the party leadership and workers," said another worker who also took part in the meetings.
Rahul also asked party workers to spread awareness about various welfare schemes of the Congress and to reach out to the common man.
On a two-day visit of the state, Rahul will hold similar meetings with district and block Congress committee office- bearers in Pune tomorrow, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown