Family of cheats held
Thane: With the arrest of a couple and their
two sons, Thane police on friday claimed to have bust a major
cheating racket run by the family involving several merchants
in various states.
According to police, the family members had procured
cloth from one Jyoti Totla who had a cloth business in Kalyan
and Ichalkaranji by name of Padmawati Textiles.
They bought goods worth Rs 4.68 crores between October
2007 and June 2008 and paid only a sum of Rs 2.76 crores
towards the purchases.
As they did not make the balance payment and fled Kalyan,
a complaint was lodged with Bazarpeth police , which carried
out investigations and nabbed the foursome from
The arrested family members are Ramesh Batariya (56),
Hansa Batariya (54), Dharmesh Bhatariya (29) and Sagar(26).
They were produced before the local magistrate who
remanded them to police custody upto November 14.
Police further said the family is already involved in
two cases of cheating at Rajasthan, and several other
instances of cheque bouncing at Ahmedabad, Ichalkaranji,
Bhiwandi and Mumbai.
The accused have been charged under sections 420,406 rw
34 of the IPC, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award