Family of cheats held
Thane: With the arrest of a couple and their
two sons, Thane police on friday claimed to have bust a major
cheating racket run by the family involving several merchants
in various states.
According to police, the family members had procured
cloth from one Jyoti Totla who had a cloth business in Kalyan
and Ichalkaranji by name of Padmawati Textiles.
They bought goods worth Rs 4.68 crores between October
2007 and June 2008 and paid only a sum of Rs 2.76 crores
towards the purchases.
As they did not make the balance payment and fled Kalyan,
a complaint was lodged with Bazarpeth police , which carried
out investigations and nabbed the foursome from
The arrested family members are Ramesh Batariya (56),
Hansa Batariya (54), Dharmesh Bhatariya (29) and Sagar(26).
They were produced before the local magistrate who
remanded them to police custody upto November 14.
Police further said the family is already involved in
two cases of cheating at Rajasthan, and several other
instances of cheque bouncing at Ahmedabad, Ichalkaranji,
Bhiwandi and Mumbai.
The accused have been charged under sections 420,406 rw
34 of the IPC, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire