Farmer suicide at Vidarbha village visited by Rahul in 2009
Yavatmal: A debt-ridden farmer at Jalka village in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra allegedly committed suicide by jumping into a lake.
It is the same village where Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi had called on Kalavati Bandurkar, whose farmer husband had committed suicide because of debt, in 2009.The visit had generated a lot of publicity.
The present incident took place on January 28, and the man`s body was fished out yesterday, police said.
The deceased farmer, Ashok Janrao Koychade (42), is survived by his parents, wife and four minor daughters.
Locals said that Koychade had taken a loan of over Rs 50,000 from the Yavatmal District Central Co-Operative Bank, but was finding it difficult to make repayments because of the crop failure over the last four years.
The bank had issued him notice in this regard. Bank Chairman Manish Patil confirmed that Koychade had been issued notice twice, and was deemed a defaulter.
Though the administration had declared `wet drought` in the district due to the excessive rains last monsoon, no instruction as to stoppage of loan recovery had been received, Patil claimed.
District Collector Ashvin Mudgal said he had sought a report on the matter from the tehsildar.
He said there was no instruction from the state authorities about stopping the farm loan recoveries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon