Farmer suicide at Vidarbha village visited by Rahul in 2009
Yavatmal: A debt-ridden farmer at Jalka village in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra allegedly committed suicide by jumping into a lake.
It is the same village where Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi had called on Kalavati Bandurkar, whose farmer husband had committed suicide because of debt, in 2009.The visit had generated a lot of publicity.
The present incident took place on January 28, and the man`s body was fished out yesterday, police said.
The deceased farmer, Ashok Janrao Koychade (42), is survived by his parents, wife and four minor daughters.
Locals said that Koychade had taken a loan of over Rs 50,000 from the Yavatmal District Central Co-Operative Bank, but was finding it difficult to make repayments because of the crop failure over the last four years.
The bank had issued him notice in this regard. Bank Chairman Manish Patil confirmed that Koychade had been issued notice twice, and was deemed a defaulter.
Though the administration had declared `wet drought` in the district due to the excessive rains last monsoon, no instruction as to stoppage of loan recovery had been received, Patil claimed.
District Collector Ashvin Mudgal said he had sought a report on the matter from the tehsildar.
He said there was no instruction from the state authorities about stopping the farm loan recoveries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?