Farmers rally behind Nitin Gadkari on home turf
Nagpur: A rally of farmers organised near RSS headquarters in Nagpur on Wednesday vowed to stand firm behind beleaguered BJP president Nitin Gadkari who is facing heat over graft allegations.
Thousands of farmers from across Maharashtra participated in the rally organised by little-known Vidarbha Shetkari Sangharsh Kriti Samiti.
Gadkari was accused by India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Arvind Kejriwal of being illegally favoured by Maharashtra government in allocation of farm land. Gadkari had denied the allegations.
Though no BJP leader attended the rally, a string of farmers` leaders who spoke on the occasion expressed their resolve to back Gadkari, the promoter of Purti Sugar and Power Limited (PSPL) which has come under cloud for alleged dubious transactions.
"Hundreds of farmers will lose their jobs if the sugar factories run by Purti Group are closed down," a leader said, adding allegations against Gadkari are being levelled as he has become a "political threat" to his rivals.
Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti president Kishore Tiwari, former MLA Harish More and others also addressed the farmers who have come from various districts of the state to attend the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy