Farmers rally behind Nitin Gadkari on home turf
Nagpur: A rally of farmers organised near RSS headquarters in Nagpur on Wednesday vowed to stand firm behind beleaguered BJP president Nitin Gadkari who is facing heat over graft allegations.
Thousands of farmers from across Maharashtra participated in the rally organised by little-known Vidarbha Shetkari Sangharsh Kriti Samiti.
Gadkari was accused by India Against Corruption (IAC) activist Arvind Kejriwal of being illegally favoured by Maharashtra government in allocation of farm land. Gadkari had denied the allegations.
Though no BJP leader attended the rally, a string of farmers` leaders who spoke on the occasion expressed their resolve to back Gadkari, the promoter of Purti Sugar and Power Limited (PSPL) which has come under cloud for alleged dubious transactions.
"Hundreds of farmers will lose their jobs if the sugar factories run by Purti Group are closed down," a leader said, adding allegations against Gadkari are being levelled as he has become a "political threat" to his rivals.
Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti president Kishore Tiwari, former MLA Harish More and others also addressed the farmers who have come from various districts of the state to attend the event.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know