FDI has redefined link between politics and economy: Chavan
Mumbai: Despite criticism over allowing foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail and aviation, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Tuesday said that reform had redefined the relationship between politics and economy.
"These are exciting times. Decisions taken today may appear to be small, but they are momentous ones, which have redefined the relationship between politics and economic decision making," Chavan said at an All India Management Association (AIMA) event here.
Supporting the central government`s decision, he said that it was the right time to take them or else it would have haunted the country later.
"In the last few weeks, we have seen objections over opening up certain sectors and an uncertainty still hangs over it. Thankfully, the Prime Minister decided to act and the coalition government at Delhi decided to back it up. That process is still on. If we had not taken those decisions, perhaps, we would have paid a huge price later on," he said.
Chavan lamented that opposition parties blindly rejected the proposal without considering changes that would be brought about.
"I feel sad that certain political parties have taken a purely political stand. When they come to power, they support the very same policies that have been put in place. Opposition has merely been for opposition`s sake and stopping institutions of governance for political ends," he said.
Chavan said that Maharashtra will continue to be a leading industrial state and the state government is trying to eliminate Mumbai`s infrastructural deficit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year