FDI in retail: Key NDA ally Shiv Sena not to participate in Sep 20 shutdown
Mumbai: Key NDA ally Shiv Sena will not participate in the nationwide strike on September 20 in protest against diesel price hike and FDI in retail, citing Ganesh festival, even as its executive president Uddhav Thackeray dismissed reports of rift.
"We won`t participate in the Bharat bandh due to Ganeshotsav," Uddhav told reporters at a press conference held at his residence `Matoshree` in suburban Bandra on Sunday.
Denying any rift in the NDA dispensation, Uddhav said, "We are with opposition parties. We are against the UPA. Shiv Sena is against the UPA government. However, we will not participate in the protest".
BJP-led NDA and UPA ally Samajwadi Party, along with a number of other non-UPA parties, have separately announced the bandh in protest against the diesel price hike and FDI in multi-brand retail.
Uddhav had told a rally in the morning that the decision to join the protests would be taken in consultation with party supremo Bal Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead