FDI in retail: Key NDA ally Shiv Sena not to participate in Sep 20 shutdown
Mumbai: Key NDA ally Shiv Sena will not participate in the nationwide strike on September 20 in protest against diesel price hike and FDI in retail, citing Ganesh festival, even as its executive president Uddhav Thackeray dismissed reports of rift.
"We won`t participate in the Bharat bandh due to Ganeshotsav," Uddhav told reporters at a press conference held at his residence `Matoshree` in suburban Bandra on Sunday.
Denying any rift in the NDA dispensation, Uddhav said, "We are with opposition parties. We are against the UPA. Shiv Sena is against the UPA government. However, we will not participate in the protest".
BJP-led NDA and UPA ally Samajwadi Party, along with a number of other non-UPA parties, have separately announced the bandh in protest against the diesel price hike and FDI in multi-brand retail.
Uddhav had told a rally in the morning that the decision to join the protests would be taken in consultation with party supremo Bal Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL