FDI in retail: Key NDA ally Shiv Sena not to participate in Sep 20 shutdown
Mumbai: Key NDA ally Shiv Sena will not participate in the nationwide strike on September 20 in protest against diesel price hike and FDI in retail, citing Ganesh festival, even as its executive president Uddhav Thackeray dismissed reports of rift.
"We won`t participate in the Bharat bandh due to Ganeshotsav," Uddhav told reporters at a press conference held at his residence `Matoshree` in suburban Bandra on Sunday.
Denying any rift in the NDA dispensation, Uddhav said, "We are with opposition parties. We are against the UPA. Shiv Sena is against the UPA government. However, we will not participate in the protest".
BJP-led NDA and UPA ally Samajwadi Party, along with a number of other non-UPA parties, have separately announced the bandh in protest against the diesel price hike and FDI in multi-brand retail.
Uddhav had told a rally in the morning that the decision to join the protests would be taken in consultation with party supremo Bal Thackeray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing