Fear of catastrophe should not hinder Jaitapur project: Pawar
Mumbai: Criticising staunch opposition to the
proposed Jaitapur nuclear power project, Union Agriculture
Minister Sharad Pawar today said that development activities
cannot be stopped in fear of natural calamities.
"One has to see how to overcome natural calamities. It
is wrong to stop forces of development. We have not stopped
construction of houses because of earthquakes. Lakhs of homes
were destroyed in Latur earthquake. We rebuilt many more. We
have the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Mumbai and
the Tarapore nuclear plant nearby," Pawar told reporters here.
When asked what would he suggest to ensure the project
implementation is not stopped, the NCP president said Chief
Minister Prithviraj Chavan knows the nitty-gritties of the
Jaitapur nuclear project since the time he was a minister in
the Prime Minister`s office (PMO).
"Maharashtra needs electricity to improve its industrial
growth. Those who criticise load shedding should not oppose
steps taken to improve power generation. We have to construct
power plants whether they are nuclear, gas based, hydro or
coal," he felt.
Replying to a question on Shiv Sena?s opposition to the
project, Pawar said he had no idea why the saffron party
was against the nuclear plant. "Perhaps, they have a different
ideology," he said.
Without naming Sena chief Bal Thackeray and his son
Uddhav, Pawar said, "I don`t meet my senior friend these days
and I don`t talk to kids on such issues."
Responding to a question on whether he felt that the
Sena leadership`s stand on the project was `childish`, Pawar ,
without naming Uddhav Thackeray, said, "how can you call
him childish. Even his son is now in politics," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand