Female foeticide: Chargesheet filed against doctors
Beed: Police have filed a chargesheet against 17 persons, including a doctor couple, arrested in connection with illegal abortion and female foeticide case, police said on Wednesday.
The chargesheet was filed on Monday in Parli tehsil court against the doctor couple-- Dr Sudam Munde and his wife Saraswati-- and 15 others, Deputy Superintendent of Police Swati Bhor said.
The couple is accused of carrying out abortion on sugarcane worker Vijaymala Patekar, who was in her second trimester, at their hospital in Parli on May 18 this year, which resulted into her death. On May 19, the couple had secured bail from Parli court and went into hiding from May 23.
The bail was subsequently cancelled by the sessions court in Ambejogai in the district on May 26 on petition of the district health department in a 2010 case under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act.
Former in-charge of this case, police inspector Ramrao Gadekar, had allegedly not framed charges against the duo properly, which had reportedly helped them get bail.
Ambajogai court had earlier said that Gadekar had played a "dubious role" in making an application to the court to temporarily remove charges against the doctor couple under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act and PCPDNT act.
In August 2012, the DGP had ordered suspension of Gadekar and the case was transferred to Dy SP Swati Bhor. The doctor couple absconding for over three weeks had finally surrendered to the local police on June 17.
Others, who have been charge sheeted in the case include the doctor couple`s son Venkatesh, Jalgaon-based Dr Rahul Kolhe, husband of the deceased woman Mahadev Shankar Patekar and members of the hospital staff.
Public Prosecutor Atul Tandle said that, the first hearing of the case would be held on September 15 at the Parli court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?