Female foeticide: Doctor nabbed in sting operation
Beed: A government medical officer was caught red-handed while allegedly conducting abortion at his private hospital in Kaij tehsil of Beed district during a sting operation conducted by health officials and police on Sunday.
The doctor was arrested, police said.
Kaij sub-district hospital medical superintendent Dr Ashok Thorat told PTI that a woman came in Kaij sub-district hospital, who wanted an abortion of her over four-month old female foetus.
Thorat said he told the woman to go to a hospital in Ambajogai for termination of pregnancy, but she said that she will go to the Akshata hospital, run by Kaij sub-district hospital`s medical officer Dr Chandrakant Lamture in Shikshak colony area of Kaij, for the abortion.
The medical superintendent then sent a team of health and police officials after the woman to keep a watch on her movements and conduct a sting operation.
Lamture, who was not authorised to conduct medical termination of pregnancy, was caught red-handed, Thorat said.
Kaij police sub-inspector Haribhau Rathod said after the sting operation they seized some equipment from Lamture`s hospital, used for abortion.
The foetus was seized from the hospital and sent for autopsy, Rathod said.
A case has been registered against the doctor under sections 312 (causing miscarriage), 316 (causing death of unborn child), 317 and 511 of IPC and under sections 3, 4 and 5 of Medical Termination of Pregnancies (MTP) Act, he said.
The woman, who already has a son and a daughter, has been admitted to Kaij sub-district hospital, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach