Fight over 16-18 seats holding up Cong-NCP seat-sharing deal
New Delhi/Mumbai: Hard bargaining for 16-18
seats have held up finalization of a seat-sharing accord
between Congress and NCP for Maharashtra assembly polls as the
leaders of the two parties raced against time to try and work
out a deal.
The top leaders today met their respective party chiefs
after three days of negotiations between the two sides in
Mumbai before resuming the talks tomorrow to thrash out
differences over seat-sharing.
While there was no word from Congress on the issue
today, NCP sources said they wanted an announcement on the
seat-sharing agreement as early as tomorrow.
While top Congress leaders from Maharashtra, including
Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, today met party chief Sonia
Gandhi in Delhi, senior NCP leaders had a meeting with party
President Sharad Pawar in Mumbai.
Today`s meeting took place in the backdrop of reports
that a little more than a dozen seats have become the bones of
Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and MPCC chief Manikrao
Thakre accompanied Chavan for the meeting with Gandhi.
Deshmukh had yesterday the two parties have already
finalized 95 per cent of the seats they would contest but
denied reports that the seat-sharing has been finalised in the
ratio of 174-114. "It would still require a couple of days to
finalise the arrangement for the October 13 polls," he said.
Chavan described today`s meeting with Gandhi as a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016