Final decision on alliance with Shiv Sena only after leaders meet: BJP
Mumbai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday said final decision on the alliance with Shiv Sena for the upcoming Assembly polls in Maharashtra would be taken only after leaders of both parties meet and discuss the issue.
At a party conclave here, several BJP leaders had made a pitch for contesting the coming elections independently. Sena president Uddhav Thackeray made little of these statements, saying he would go only by what BJP chief Rajnath Singh had to say on the matter.
"Some sentiments were expressed at the BJP conclave and during a meeting of Shiv Sena leaders as well. Whatever feelings there may be in both parties, the party leaders will intervene if necessary and hold talks on alliance before taking any decision," Leader of Opposition in Legislative Council and senior BJP leader Vinod Tawde said today.
Buoyed by BJP`s spectacular success in the Lok Sabha polls where it secured a single party majority, some BJP leaders said at the conclave that the party should go it alone in the state, as the alliance with Sena was stunting its growth.
To a question about the controversy created by Mumbai BJP chief Ashish Shelar`s reported statement that Mumbaikars can have a full meal for Rs 5, Tawde blamed the media.
"I heard his speech and he was referring to the food distributed at Mahim Dargah for the poor. The media has distorted his statement. The Congress and NCP leaders should see the video footage of the speech before commenting," Tawde said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?