Final phase of polls in Maharashtra tomorrow; Deora, Kamat, Nirupam contesting
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Many high profile candidates will try their luck in the third and final phase of the Lok Sabha elections in the second most crucial state Maharashtra on Thursday.
The 19 constituencies going to the polls in Maharashtra are: Nandurbar, Dhule, Jalgaon, Raver, Dindori, Nashik in North Maharashtra, Jalna, Aurangabad in Marathwada, Palghar, Bhiwandi, Kalyan, Thane in Thane district and Raigad, besides all the six constituencies of Mumbai North, Mumbai North Central, Mumbai South Central, Mumbai South, Mumbai North East and Mumbai North West will go to polls.
A total of 338 candidates, including Independents, are in the fray, with several national level politicians attempting to retain their seats in the third round of elections in the state.
The big names in the race in Maharashtra include union Minister of State for Shipping Milind Deora, former union minister and AICC general secretary Gurudas Kamat, former journalist Sanjay Nirupam, Priya Dutt (all from the Congress in Mumbai), besides the Nationalist Congress Party`s Chhagan Bhujbal in Nashik and Medha Patkar in Mumbai North-East.
Out of the total 3,17,39,442 voters, 1,70,20,383 are men and 1,46,22,713 are women. There are 12 constituencies with over 16 candidates. Aurangabad has the highest number of 27 candidates, while Nandurbar has the lowest number of nine contestants.
Thane (20,72,476 voters) is the largest parliamentary seat while Mumbai South central (14,46,979 voters) is the smallest. There are 121 candidates from registered political parties other than recognised national and state parties.
BJP is contesting 11, Shiv Sena eight, Congress ten, NCP eight, MNS seven, CPI 2 and CPM 3 seats. BSP is contesting all the 19 seats.
There will be 34,343 polling stations for this phase.
In the three-phase elections, ten seats in Vidarbha region went to polls on April 10, while voting for 19 seats in Marathwada and Western Maharashtra regions was held on April 17.
With agencies inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick