Final phase of polls in Maharashtra tomorrow; Deora, Kamat, Nirupam contesting
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Many high profile candidates will try their luck in the third and final phase of the Lok Sabha elections in the second most crucial state Maharashtra on Thursday.
The 19 constituencies going to the polls in Maharashtra are: Nandurbar, Dhule, Jalgaon, Raver, Dindori, Nashik in North Maharashtra, Jalna, Aurangabad in Marathwada, Palghar, Bhiwandi, Kalyan, Thane in Thane district and Raigad, besides all the six constituencies of Mumbai North, Mumbai North Central, Mumbai South Central, Mumbai South, Mumbai North East and Mumbai North West will go to polls.
A total of 338 candidates, including Independents, are in the fray, with several national level politicians attempting to retain their seats in the third round of elections in the state.
The big names in the race in Maharashtra include union Minister of State for Shipping Milind Deora, former union minister and AICC general secretary Gurudas Kamat, former journalist Sanjay Nirupam, Priya Dutt (all from the Congress in Mumbai), besides the Nationalist Congress Party`s Chhagan Bhujbal in Nashik and Medha Patkar in Mumbai North-East.
Out of the total 3,17,39,442 voters, 1,70,20,383 are men and 1,46,22,713 are women. There are 12 constituencies with over 16 candidates. Aurangabad has the highest number of 27 candidates, while Nandurbar has the lowest number of nine contestants.
Thane (20,72,476 voters) is the largest parliamentary seat while Mumbai South central (14,46,979 voters) is the smallest. There are 121 candidates from registered political parties other than recognised national and state parties.
BJP is contesting 11, Shiv Sena eight, Congress ten, NCP eight, MNS seven, CPI 2 and CPM 3 seats. BSP is contesting all the 19 seats.
There will be 34,343 polling stations for this phase.
In the three-phase elections, ten seats in Vidarbha region went to polls on April 10, while voting for 19 seats in Marathwada and Western Maharashtra regions was held on April 17.
With agencies inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble