FIR against collector, HDIL officials in land scam
Mumbai: The Anti-Corruption Bureau has booked
the Raigarh district collector besides the chairman and nine
directors of a real estate developer in an alleged land scam
causing loss of crores of rupees to the exchequer.
An FIR has been registered by the ACB against collector
Subhash Sonawane, who was Maharashtra Housing Area Development
Authority (MHADA) acting officer in 2006, and Housing
Development and Infrastructure`s (HDIL) executive chairman
Rakesh Kumar Wadhawan, Advocate Anjali Awasti, representing
the complainant in the case, said.
She said the FIR has also named HDIL directors Raj Kumar
Agarwal, Satyapal Talwar, Shyam Sunder Dawra, Sunil Behari
Mathur, Lalit Mohan Mehta, Surinder Kumar, Ramesh Chandar
Kapoor, Warym Singh and Ashok Kumar Gupta.
The accused had allegedly carried out fraudulent
practices to develop an MHADA plot, located next to a prime
property at the Bandra Kurla Complex, under Slum
Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) scheme by declaring it as a
slum, she claimed.
Awasti claimed that in 2006, the HDIL and MHADA officials
had connived and declared a 23,387 sq metre plot in Bharat
Nagar as slum area even though it belonged to the MHADA. "As
per rule, MHADA plots cannot be developed under SRA scheme.
But the accused did this to gain huge profits," she said.
The loss due to the fraudulent practises is estimated to
the tune of Rs 5,000 crore, she claimed. However, the ACB
stated that only a thorough probe would help estimate the
actual loss to the exchequer which may run into crores of
"Documents have been forged to declare it as a slum plot
and it was taken up for the development by HDIL under SRA
project," Awasti stated adding, "This was uncovered after the
details received through an RTI application by my client Munir
The FIR was filed yesterday on orders from the Special
judge M S Kshirsagar, who was hearing a complaint filed by
Inamdar. The accused were booked under relevant sections of
the Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act, ACB
Inamdar`s brother Mohammed Aarif stated that hundreds of
people resided on the plot in individual houses. Some of the
houses have been demolished and a few buildings have been
constructed in which many people have already shifted, he
"Unaware that some buildings had been constructed with
fraudulent practices, a few residents had shifted to their new
apartments. The rest are fighting against HDIL," Aarif said.
There were allegations that HDIL had been developing the
plot under SRA scheme as it would get various benefits
including additional Floor Space Index (FSI), ACB officials
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie