FIR against Congress leader Kripashankar
Mumbai: Police on Tuesday registered an FIR against senior Congress leader Kripashankar Singh under anti- corruption law in connection with a disproportionate assets case, nearly a week after the Bombay High Court had directed it to prosecute him for "criminal misconduct".
"An FIR under relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act and the IPC has been registered against Singh at Nirmal Nagar Police Station at suburban Bandra," a top police official said to sources.
"Apart from Singh, his wife, son, daughter and son-in-law besides one more family member along with others have been booked," the official said.
They have been booked under IPC sections 120 B (criminal conspiracy), 201 (disappearance of evidence), 420 (cheating), 465 and 467 (forgery), and relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The high court had on February 22 directed the city police commissioner to prosecute Singh for "criminal misconduct" under the Prevention of Corruption Act, while hearing a PIL filed by activist Sanjay Tiwari who alleged the Congress MLA had amassed wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Tiwari claimed that the former Mumbai Pradesh Congress chief had been close to former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda, currently in jail for alleged involvement in a multi- crore hawala scam.
He alleged several monetary transactions had taken place between them.
Singh`s son Narendra Mohan is married to Ankita, daughter of Kamlesh Singh, who was a minister in the Koda cabinet and is now in jail in connection with the hawala scam.
Ankita had received Rs 1.75 crore in her account from Kamlesh, the PIL
said, adding there were huge transactions from the bank accounts of Kripashankar`s wife Malti Devi too.
Singh resigned as the Mumbai Congress chief citing the party`s poor showing in the recently held civic elections on the same day the high court had asked the police to seek sanction for his prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi