FIR against Raj Thackeray: Court issues bailable warrant for cop
New Delhi: A Delhi court has issued bailable warrants against an investigating officer of Delhi Police for failing to tell the court about the progress of probe in an FIR against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray for allegedly making derogatory remarks against the people of Bihar.
"Status report not filed. Issue bailable warrant against Investigating Officer in sum of Rs 2,000 with one surety of like amount," Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Singh Rajawat said.
The court had on the last hearing asked the investigating officer to inform the court about the development in the probe done following the FIR registered against Thackeray on its order.
The probe in the case was with the District Investigation Unit of North Delhi.
The case pertains to an FIR registered against Thackeray in September 2012 under section 153 A (promoting enmity between different groups on ground of place of birth, residence etc), 153 B (making imputations, assertions prejudicial to national integration) and 505 (statements conducing public mischief) IPC.
The FIR was registered on the court`s order passed on a complaint filed by advocate Prem Shankar Sharma who had said "remarks made by Thackeray in August last year where he termed Bihar natives as infiltrators and threatened to throw them out of Maharashtra were provocative and anti-national."
He had said the MNS chief`s comments that "Bihar natives who have been living in Maharashtra, especially in Mumbai, shall be kicked out of the state, were defaming and his provocative statement is against national integration as the Indian Constitution has given all citizens the right to live anywhere in the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender