Fire at Andheri shopping mall, 12 rescued
Mumbai: A fire broke out on Thursday at a shopping
mall in suburban Andheri but there were no casualties as the
authorities rescued the 12 people trapped inside the building.
Fifteen fire engines and six water tankers were rushed to
Hira Panna mall in Oshiwara area and it took over six hours to
douse the flames, fire brigade officials said.
Although the cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained,
firemen suspect an electric short-circuit could be behind it.
According to them, the fire broke out at the basement of
the shopping centre at around 4.00 am. Twelve people trapped
in the basement were rescued safely, they said.
"The safety measures in the mall such as sprinkler
system, wet riser system and the mechanical ventilation, which
keeps the smoke out, were non-functional," said Chief Fire
Officer Uday Tatkare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...