Fire at railway quarters in Mumbai, some injured
A major fire has broken out in a 21-storey residential building near Mumbai Central railway station in south Mumbai, fire officials said.
Mumbai: A major fire has broken out in a 21-storey residential building near Mumbai Central railway station in south Mumbai, fire officials said.
An unspecified number of people who are reported to have been injured in the blaze have been admitted to Nair hospital and no casualty has been reported so far, a civic official said.
The fire started on the 4th floor of railway officers' quarters behind Maratha Mandir theatre opposite Mumbai Central railway station, an official said, adding, apparently it was caused by a short-circuit.
"We got a call around noon that a fire broke out in a residential building. We initially thought it was a Grade-1 fire and sent four fire tankers to the spot. It was later upgraded to a Grade-2 fire and we have now deployed eight fire engines and five water tankers at the spot," a fire brigade official told PTI.
The fire which has gutted the fourth floor is yet to be brought under control, he said.
"There was lot of smoke emanating from the floor where the fire broke out. This caused panic among the people living there which made evacuation process a little difficult. We have evacuated people and we are working towards dousing the flames," the official said.