Fire in coaching institute in Thane, students safe
Thane: Over 50 students escaped unhurt after a building in which they were attending coaching classes caught fire here Friday morning, officials said.
However, one student suffered a leg fracture after he jumped from the building in panic, they said.
The fire department received a call at around 7 am that a fire had broken out at `Ideal Classes` on the second floor of Siddharth Towers opposite Thane Railway Station, deputy chief fire officer A M Raut and TMC`s regional disaster management cell officer Santosh Kadam said.
The firemen from Jawhar Baugh, Wagle and Balkum fire stations rushed to the spot within minutes.
The classes were on when the fire broke out, but the firemen managed to rescue more than 50 students, they said, adding that other coaching classes were also going on at the time of the mishap in the building which also houses some offices.
The porch, server room, and the classrooms were gutted in the blaze, the cause of which was yet to be ascertained, the officials said.
Several fire tenders and water tankers were pressed into service which managed to bring the flames under control after about two hours, they said.
One of the students, a resident of Tikujini Wadi locality in Thane, jumped from the second floor in panic and fractured his leg. He has been admitted to a local hospital, they said.
The fire fighting operations created a chaos in the narrow lane housing the building which caused a traffic jam near the railway station.
Officials from the Thane Nagar Police Station also reached the spot and assisted in rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!