Fire inside WCL coal mine in Ballarpur, Maharashtra
Chandrapur (Maharashtra): A massive fire has started in one of the mine blocks of Ballarpur Collieries of WCL in WCL-Ballarpur area of Chandrapur district, company sources said on Thursday.
The fire was first noticed on Tuesday, and after failing to control it, Western Coalfields Ltd (WCL) management today decided to seal off the underground mine block to cut off air supply to the flames.
WCL sources said that "a massive part of coal segment" was burning in pits 3 and 4 of the mine.
`Roof fall` was seen in this part two months ago and miners had complained of rising heat around it while the fallen debris was yet to be removed, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das
- Saarc FMs meet focused on trade, tax avoidance pacts: Das
- Centre to replace J&K governor? Five names doing rounds as his successor
- Arun Jaitley pitches for BRICS arbitration platform