Fire on merchant ship off Mumbai doused completely
Mumbai: The major fire that broke out on the vessel M V Amsterdam Bridge had been completely extinguished and only the smoke was coming out of the damaged containers, a senior Indian Coast Guard official said here late Tuesday.
"The damaged containers do not contain any dangerous cargo," the official said.
Professional salvors, domestic as well as from abroad, had arrived on the ship to undertake assessment of the damage.
"Twenty-six containers in and around the seat of fire have been opened and seven were found damaged because of the fire," said the official.
Deflooding of the vessel had already started and salvors would now initiate measures to ensure safety on board the ship, the official added.
The fire broke out on the Colombo-bound merchant vessel - Antigua and Barbuda-flagged - off Mumbai coast on September 9.
Yesterday, as the fire was mostly brought under control, the officials had expressed worry about "hazardous" cargo on board.
The crew was safe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof