First session of Maharashtra Assembly likely from Nov 3
Mumbai: The maiden session of the 12th
Maharashtra Assembly is likely to begin from November 3 and
may be a three-day affair.
"All the 277 newly-elected members would be sworn in
during the session, which would also include an address by the
Governor S C Jamir," Vidhan Bhawan sources said.
The strength of the House is 288 elected and a
nominated member. Samajwadi Party`s Abu Asim Azmi has been
elected from two Assembly constituencies.
Also on the agenda is election of the Speaker and if
needed, a resolution moved by Chief Minister Ashok Chavan,
that the House expresses its trust in the new governmemt, the
If the Opposition decided to put up a candidate for
the Speaker`s post, the House would anyway see a show of
strength. In such an eventuality, it would be interesting to
know which side Independents favour, the sources said.
The winter session of State Legislature is scheduled
in Nagpur in December, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the swearing-in of Chavan, Deputy Chief
Minister Chhagan Bhujbal and some other members of the new
ministry is likely to take place in the next one or two days,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head