First session of Maharashtra Assembly likely from Nov 3
Mumbai: The maiden session of the 12th
Maharashtra Assembly is likely to begin from November 3 and
may be a three-day affair.
"All the 277 newly-elected members would be sworn in
during the session, which would also include an address by the
Governor S C Jamir," Vidhan Bhawan sources said.
The strength of the House is 288 elected and a
nominated member. Samajwadi Party`s Abu Asim Azmi has been
elected from two Assembly constituencies.
Also on the agenda is election of the Speaker and if
needed, a resolution moved by Chief Minister Ashok Chavan,
that the House expresses its trust in the new governmemt, the
If the Opposition decided to put up a candidate for
the Speaker`s post, the House would anyway see a show of
strength. In such an eventuality, it would be interesting to
know which side Independents favour, the sources said.
The winter session of State Legislature is scheduled
in Nagpur in December, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the swearing-in of Chavan, Deputy Chief
Minister Chhagan Bhujbal and some other members of the new
ministry is likely to take place in the next one or two days,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation