Fishermen oppose plan to reclaim sea off Mumbai coast
Mumbai: Fishermen have opposed the proposal mooted by a Netherland-based expert to reclaim parts of the Arabian Sea to tide over land shortage in Mumbai.
Dr Ronald Waterman, a coastal development and land reclamation expert who has offered consultancy services to governments and organisations in about 40 countries, had suggested the option during a presentation to Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan on Friday.
"The eight lakh fishermen in Mumbai and the working class in the city will never allow such a proposal," Akhil Maharashtra Machhimar Kriti Samiti president Damodar Tandel said.
"The government should first look into the problems of Mumbai coast, specially the fact that two to three km of coastline is filled with sludge," Tandel said.
Fishermen are still reeling under the adverse effect of the reclamation at Nariman Point here, he said.
In his presentation, Waterman suggested how the portion of the sea near the Gateway of India, Marine Drive, Malabar Hill, Mahim and the port areas could be developed.
In August 2010, Singapore-based consultancy firm Surbana
International, appointed by the state government to suggest a
vision plan for the development of the Mumbai Metropolitan
Region, had also suggested the option of reclaiming parts of
the sea to counter land shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise