Five arrested for attack on Thane BJP chief
Thane: Thane police on Thursday arrested five persons in connection with the manhandling of Deputy Mayor and city BJP chief Milind Patankar and ransacking of his cabin at the municipal corporation building here earlier this week.
Jagdish Thorat and Satish Pawar (both from Shiv Sena) and Mukesh Shelar, Ramesh Babble and Omkar Naik (all BJP) were produced before the magistrate after the arrest, and were released on a bond of Rs 15,000 each.
They allegedly assaulted Patankar holding him responsible when another BJP corporator voted against Sena-BJP candidate in the election to chairmanship of civic transport committee.
The accused have been charged with unlawful assembly and damaging public property under Indian Penal Code.
Meanwhile, Patankar`s whereabouts are yet not known, though the family has not approached the police over the issue. Local activist Dayanand Nene said that he could speak to him on phone; and Patankar told him that he was safe.
However Nene alleged that Patankar might have been speaking under duress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened