Five booked for dowry harassment
Thane: Local police have booked five
persons, including husband of a 36-year-old woman on the
charges of dowry harassment and second marriage in violation
of the Hindu Marriage Act.
The victim Yogita Ashok Chavan, currently resident of
Vartak Nagar locality hailed from Kopargaon in Ahmednagar
district. She was harassed for dowry since 1999 by her
in-laws, said senior police inspector Ram Sawant of Vartak
Nagar police station.
Five persons, including her mother-in-law Subhada
Chavan, brother-in-law Subash Chavan, his wife Kavita,
sister-in-law Baby Gholap along with her husband Ashok Chavan
have been booked under different sections of the Indian Penal
Code, he said.
According to the FIR filed by the victim, her husband
even married another woman when she is alive thus violating
the Hindu Marriage Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'