Five booked for dowry harassment
Thane: Local police have booked five
persons, including husband of a 36-year-old woman on the
charges of dowry harassment and second marriage in violation
of the Hindu Marriage Act.
The victim Yogita Ashok Chavan, currently resident of
Vartak Nagar locality hailed from Kopargaon in Ahmednagar
district. She was harassed for dowry since 1999 by her
in-laws, said senior police inspector Ram Sawant of Vartak
Nagar police station.
Five persons, including her mother-in-law Subhada
Chavan, brother-in-law Subash Chavan, his wife Kavita,
sister-in-law Baby Gholap along with her husband Ashok Chavan
have been booked under different sections of the Indian Penal
Code, he said.
According to the FIR filed by the victim, her husband
even married another woman when she is alive thus violating
the Hindu Marriage Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him