Five detained for trying to sell newborn baby
Thane: Five persons, including the mother of a newborn baby, have been detained based on a complaint that she allegedly tried to sell the child to a couple, police said on Friday.
Dr Sunil Wadkar, the medical officer of Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation, lodged a complaint with police last night that a 20 year-old girl, Deepali Vitthal Khatavkar, who had delivered a baby boy on January 30, tried to sell the baby to a couple yesterday.
The girl, a resident of Naigaon in Thane, had registered herself with the DDM Petit Civic hospital for delivery under two different names. Suspicious about this, the doctor kept a tab of her moves and checked her documents.
It was found that the girl had borne the child out of wedlock and she, in connivance with her boyfriend, Bhushan Korgaonkar, had planned to sell the baby after delivery.
The duo also sought help of a woman, identified as Akshata Kadam, to hold negotiations with a couple and finalise a deal for them. The woman struck a deal with a couple for Rs 50,000.
However, Wadkar yesterday foiled their attempt and filed a complaint against them.
Following this, police detained Deepali, her boyfriend, Akshata, and the couple to whom the child was to be sold, for questioning.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Vasai Division, D P Devraj, today said that they were looking into the complaint and will take appropriate steps in due course of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you