Five detained for trying to sell newborn baby
Thane: Five persons, including the mother of a newborn baby, have been detained based on a complaint that she allegedly tried to sell the child to a couple, police said on Friday.
Dr Sunil Wadkar, the medical officer of Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation, lodged a complaint with police last night that a 20 year-old girl, Deepali Vitthal Khatavkar, who had delivered a baby boy on January 30, tried to sell the baby to a couple yesterday.
The girl, a resident of Naigaon in Thane, had registered herself with the DDM Petit Civic hospital for delivery under two different names. Suspicious about this, the doctor kept a tab of her moves and checked her documents.
It was found that the girl had borne the child out of wedlock and she, in connivance with her boyfriend, Bhushan Korgaonkar, had planned to sell the baby after delivery.
The duo also sought help of a woman, identified as Akshata Kadam, to hold negotiations with a couple and finalise a deal for them. The woman struck a deal with a couple for Rs 50,000.
However, Wadkar yesterday foiled their attempt and filed a complaint against them.
Following this, police detained Deepali, her boyfriend, Akshata, and the couple to whom the child was to be sold, for questioning.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Vasai Division, D P Devraj, today said that they were looking into the complaint and will take appropriate steps in due course of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble