Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha
Nagpur: With five cotton growers committing suicide Thursday, a total of 507 farmers have killed themselves during 2011 alone in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, an NGO fighting for farmers` rights said on Friday.
The dead were identified as Mohan Raut from Ghazipur in Yavatmal district, Raju Tembhare from Sakur in Yavatmal district, Sharavan Chichghate from Bhindi in Wardha district, Vijay Gomase from Akoli in Wardha district and Laxman Pathode from Dongargaon in Chandrapur district.
"They (farmers) have been demanding a hike in minimum support price (MSP) of cotton to Rs 6,000 per quintal as against the ongoing Rs 3,300 per quintal," said Kishor Tiwari of Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS).
As many as 51 farmers committed suicide during the month of August alone.
Farmers have also been demanding lifting of the ban on cotton export.
"We demand a hike in cotton MSP and urgent relief of food security, fresh crop loan disbursement and healthcare services," Tiwari said.
Tiwari`s VJAS has been documenting Vidarbha farm suicides since 1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’