Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha
Nagpur: With five cotton growers committing suicide Thursday, a total of 507 farmers have killed themselves during 2011 alone in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, an NGO fighting for farmers` rights said on Friday.
The dead were identified as Mohan Raut from Ghazipur in Yavatmal district, Raju Tembhare from Sakur in Yavatmal district, Sharavan Chichghate from Bhindi in Wardha district, Vijay Gomase from Akoli in Wardha district and Laxman Pathode from Dongargaon in Chandrapur district.
"They (farmers) have been demanding a hike in minimum support price (MSP) of cotton to Rs 6,000 per quintal as against the ongoing Rs 3,300 per quintal," said Kishor Tiwari of Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS).
As many as 51 farmers committed suicide during the month of August alone.
Farmers have also been demanding lifting of the ban on cotton export.
"We demand a hike in cotton MSP and urgent relief of food security, fresh crop loan disbursement and healthcare services," Tiwari said.
Tiwari`s VJAS has been documenting Vidarbha farm suicides since 1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested