Five held in cases of robbery and extortion
Mumbai: City police Tuesday arrested five
persons in two separate cases of robbery and extortion, police said.
In the first instance, Mahajan Gupta (48), Phulchand
Jaiswal (50) and Omprakash Sharma (50) were arrested by the
Crime Branch at Charkop Naka near Bhagwati Hotel and handed
over to Charkop police for trying to extort Rs 15 lakh from a
Rekha Tripati who had purchased two shanties in
Bhimnagar slums at Charkop in suburban Kandivali on November
18 last year was threatened by a local goon Ajay Yadav along
with the arrested trio.
As Tripati was asked to pay the amount so that she
could peacefully stay in the new houses, she approached
Charkop police station and lodged an FIR against them, police
The prime accused Yadav is yet to be nabbed, they
In another case, Mohammed Shaikh and Phurkhan Shaikh,
were apprehended for allegedly committing a series of
burglaries at Dharavi area over a period of time, crime branch
The duo would conducted a recce of PNGP Colony during
the day time on pretext of catching pigeons on the terraces of
"Then they chose the targets before carrying out
burglaries. At least six burglary cases were registered
against them in Dharavi police station," an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala