Force feeding Muslim staffer: Delhi HC to hear PIL
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court will on August 08 hear a petition seeking de-recognition of the Shiv Sena and direction for disqualification of 11 of its MPs for allegedly forcing a Muslim staffer to eat at Maharashtra Sadan during his Ramadan fast.
A division bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice RS Endlaw would hear the PIL next week filed by NGO Garib Nawaz Foundation that also sought immediate arrest of the MPs for provoking religious sentiments.
It also sought initiation of criminal case against the Shiv Sena MPs, including Sanjay Rout and Rajan Vichare, who represents the Thane Lok Sabha constituency, and asked for direction to the Lok Sabha Speaker and the Rajya Sabha chairman to disqualify 11 of the Sena lawmakers.
It has been alleged that July 17, Vichare, irked over the poor quality of food, force-fed Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) employee Arshad Zubair, who was catering supervisor at Maharashtra Sadan, before some television cameras.
The IRCTC was providing food for Maharashtra Sadan.
The PIL said: "The action of the Shiv Sena MPs with the fasting Muslim supervisor was uncalled for and needed to be dealt with a strict action by party chief Udhav Thackeray."
It also sought a direction to the central government to order a high-level probe into the incident by a special investigation team headed by a sitting high court judge.
"Forcefully shoving a `chapati` by MPs was a cowardly act as they are representatives of the people and are elected by the people for their service and not for provoking religious sentiments," said the plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org