Force One anti-terrorist commando shoots himself to death
Mumbai: A 25-year-old commando of Maharashtra`s elite counter-terrorism unit `Force One`, allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself with his service pistol on the terrace of the Kalina police campus on Friday, the police said.
Identified as police constable Nandlal Sonavane, who had been undergoing commando training at the campus for the last two years, ended his life by shooting in his chest with a Glock pistol at about 5 am, said Deputy Police Commissioner Namdev Chavan.
After the incident, Sonavane was rushed to a nearby private hospital, where he died while undergoing treatment.
Later, his body was shifted to JJ Hospital for post mortem.
Sonavane hailed from Dhule district and was scheduled to get married next month, the police said.
No suicide note was found, the police said, adding, the reason for his extreme step was also not yet clear.
`Force One` was established after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. The specialised anti-terror strike unit was formed on the lines of National Security Guards (NSG).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off