Forced by Maha police to give confessional statement: Bhatkal
New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar on Tuesday claimed in a special NIA court here that they were "forced" by Maharashtra Police to give confessional statements in connection with the cases lodged against them there.
Bhatkal and Akhtar were produced before District Judge IS Mehta during an in-chamber hearing in pursuance to production warrants issued against them.
They claimed the officials of Maharashtra Police had threatened that that they would be compelled to commit suicide in the custody, sources said.
The accused moved an application through their counsel M S Khan for "retraction of their statements recorded during the custody of Maharashtra Police" and the court has taken it on record.
Sources said both the accused claimed in the court that due to the threats handed out to them by the officials of Maharashtra Police, they were apprehending that some untoward incident might take place with them and they were also forced to put their signatures on some blank papers.
The court, however, remanded both the accused to judicial custody till April 29.
During the proceedings, the court also issued production warrants for April 29 against co-accused Obaid-Ur-Rehman and Abu Faisal who were not produced before it.
According to sources, Obaid-Ur-Rehman is now lodged in a Bangalore jail while Faisal is in Bhopal in connection with the cases lodged against them there.
The court also allowed the plea of National Investigation Agency seeking issuance of proclamation proceedings against 10 top suspected IM operatives who are still absconding.
These suspected members of banned terror outfit IM are accused in connection with a case of alleged conspiracy to carry out terror acts in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what