Former Congress ministers support demand for separate Vidarbha
Amravati: Former Congress Ministers Yashwant
Sherekar and Malharrao Mahulkar, on Saturday, declared their support
for separate statehood for Vidarbha saying that it was
necessary for the removal of backlog of the region.
They pointed out that Congress had resolved way back in
1912 in favour of separate Vidarbha state and the party should
now carve out Vidarbha out of Maharashtra.
They also submitted a memorandum to this effect to
President Pratibha Patil during her recent visit to Amravati.
Both the leaders told a press conference today that
Congress had adopted a resolution in 1912 at a convention
supporting the separate statehood to Vidarbha. Advocate
Ranganath Mudholkar from Amravati was the President of that
convention, they said..
The likes of Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabhbhai Patel and
Pattabhi Sitaramayya were also in favour of separate Vidarbha
and so also Acharya Vinobha Bhave, Bapuji Ane and Acharya
Dandekar, they said.
"We will remind Congress High command about this and ask
to carve out Vidarbha from Maharashtra ," said Sherekar.
He, however, observed that the agitation for separate
Vidarbha should be undertaken in a non-violent way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed