Former Congress ministers support demand for separate Vidarbha
Amravati: Former Congress Ministers Yashwant
Sherekar and Malharrao Mahulkar, on Saturday, declared their support
for separate statehood for Vidarbha saying that it was
necessary for the removal of backlog of the region.
They pointed out that Congress had resolved way back in
1912 in favour of separate Vidarbha state and the party should
now carve out Vidarbha out of Maharashtra.
They also submitted a memorandum to this effect to
President Pratibha Patil during her recent visit to Amravati.
Both the leaders told a press conference today that
Congress had adopted a resolution in 1912 at a convention
supporting the separate statehood to Vidarbha. Advocate
Ranganath Mudholkar from Amravati was the President of that
convention, they said..
The likes of Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabhbhai Patel and
Pattabhi Sitaramayya were also in favour of separate Vidarbha
and so also Acharya Vinobha Bhave, Bapuji Ane and Acharya
Dandekar, they said.
"We will remind Congress High command about this and ask
to carve out Vidarbha from Maharashtra ," said Sherekar.
He, however, observed that the agitation for separate
Vidarbha should be undertaken in a non-violent way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days