Former DIG, his CA get five years` jail term in bribery case
Mumbai: A former Deputy Inspector General of Police was on Wednesday sentenced to five years` imprisonment by the special Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) court here for taking bribe from a junior officer for protecting him in a departmental inquiry.
"The special court has convicted A K Jain, the then DIG, and his chartered accountant Prassanna Lodha, and sentenced them to five years`s rigorous imprisonment...Court also imposed a fine of Rs 1.5 lakh," special public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan said.
On the night of May 21, 2000, there was a raid on a bar at Byculla in central Mumbai, as a part of the crack-down on establishments which remained open till late at night.
The Police Commissioner had also sought action against police officials of the areas where bars flouted rules. "On May 22, the Commissioner asked a DCP to conduct an inquiry against the officers, including inspector Sanjeev Kokil," Chavan said.
The DCP recorded Kokil`s statement and forwarded a report to Jain. Jain, in turn, wrote his remarks on the report and issued a show-cause notice.
On May 23, Lodha called and asked to meet Kokil. During the meeting, he sought Rs 5 lakh to protect Kokil during the inquiry. The amount was later brought down to Rs 3 lakh.
Lodha also called up Jain, and informed that Kokil had agreed to give the money. On May 26 Kokil approached ACB, and on the same day Lodha was trapped while taking the money.
Next day, Kokil went to Jain`s office. Jain also demanded the money. He was arrested later.
During the trial, prosecutor Chavan examined 20 witnesses.
But call data records, which revealed that Jain and Lodha were in touch with Kokil, proved to be the most crucial piece of evidence.
A case of possessing disproportionate assets too is pending against Jain, an IPS officer, and his wife. While Kokil was dismissed in March this year following allegations that he was extorting money from local shopkeepers and residents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM