Former DIG, wife get three years in jail in corruption case
Mumbai: Three months after the special Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) court convicted former Deputy Inspector General of Maharashtra police AK Jain in a bribery case, the court on Thursday convicted him and his wife in a disproportionate assets case and sentenced them to three years` imprisonment.
"The court has convicted Jain and his wife Anita after we argued that he misused his position as a public servant and amassed ill-gotten wealth," said chief public prosecutor Kalpana Chavan.
Chavan said that Jain`s assets were worth 350 per cent of what he could have got from known sources of income.
The state Home Department had received an anonymous letter in 1990 alleging that Jain owned huge properties. ACB first started a discreet enquiry and later an open enquiry before registering a case against the couple under Prevention of Corruption Act in 2003.
Chavan contended in the court that Jain had bought properties in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka in his own name as well as in the names of his family members. She also told the court that Jain had several bank accounts.
He had set up two trusts -- Sarla Trust in the name of his mother and and AK Jain Trust -- to channelise the ill-gotten money, prosecution said.
During 1982 and 1995, Jain`s total income was about Rs 13 lakh and his expenses about Rs 9 lakh, which meant that he should hold properties/ investments of about Rs 5 lakh, but in reality his assets were worth Rs 41 lakh, ACB said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!