Former MP backs referendum for separate statehood to Vidarbha
Nagpur: Former MP and staunch protagonist of separate statehood for Vidarbha, Banwarilal Purohit, has supported a "referendum" for a separate Vidarbha state, planned by local non-governmental organisation Jan Manch, on December 16.
In a statement released here on Friday, Purohit said the referendum would give the people of Nagpur a great opportunity to express their solidarity with the cause of statehood for Vidarbha.
Purohit, who had moved a non-official bill for the formation of a separate Vidarbha way back in 1978, said the demand for Vidarbha`s statehood has constitutional validity and that the region has continued to languish in backwardness, as part of the state of Maharashtra.
Despite its forest cover and mineral wealth, Vidarbha "suffered" a lot under successive regimes and this "injustice" could be brought to an end only if Vidarbha attains statehood, Purohit said in the statement.
Jan Manch has made elaborate arrangements at 600 places in the city for people to participate in what it calls a "referendum" on December 16 from 6 am to 10 pm.
In Amravati, a similar "referendum" had elicited a tremendous response and proved that as many as 80 per cent of participants favoured statehood for Vidarbha, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video