Former Rane detractor quits NCP, joins Congress
Mumbai: In a setback for NCP in coastal Konkan, a known former political rival of Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane, on Wednesday joined Congress.
45-year-old Sandesh Parkar, who headed the Kankavli municipal council in Rane`s Sindhudurg district, joined Congress in presence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre at a function held at the party office here.
"Parkar has joined Congress as he felt that Congress is the only party for doing constructive work," Rane told reporters.
"We have no opponent left, with Parkar joining Congress. I wish him all the best," Rane said, hoping Parkar would strengthen the party in the coastal region.
In July 2011, Parkar was appointed General Secretary of NCP which earlier had late Gurunath Kulkarni, another leader from Konkan, on the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry