Former Rane detractor quits NCP, joins Congress
Mumbai: In a setback for NCP in coastal Konkan, a known former political rival of Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane, on Wednesday joined Congress.
45-year-old Sandesh Parkar, who headed the Kankavli municipal council in Rane`s Sindhudurg district, joined Congress in presence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre at a function held at the party office here.
"Parkar has joined Congress as he felt that Congress is the only party for doing constructive work," Rane told reporters.
"We have no opponent left, with Parkar joining Congress. I wish him all the best," Rane said, hoping Parkar would strengthen the party in the coastal region.
In July 2011, Parkar was appointed General Secretary of NCP which earlier had late Gurunath Kulkarni, another leader from Konkan, on the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!