Former Rane detractor quits NCP, joins Congress
Mumbai: In a setback for NCP in coastal Konkan, a known former political rival of Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane, on Wednesday joined Congress.
45-year-old Sandesh Parkar, who headed the Kankavli municipal council in Rane`s Sindhudurg district, joined Congress in presence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre at a function held at the party office here.
"Parkar has joined Congress as he felt that Congress is the only party for doing constructive work," Rane told reporters.
"We have no opponent left, with Parkar joining Congress. I wish him all the best," Rane said, hoping Parkar would strengthen the party in the coastal region.
In July 2011, Parkar was appointed General Secretary of NCP which earlier had late Gurunath Kulkarni, another leader from Konkan, on the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review