Former Rane detractor quits NCP, joins Congress
Mumbai: In a setback for NCP in coastal Konkan, a known former political rival of Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane, on Wednesday joined Congress.
45-year-old Sandesh Parkar, who headed the Kankavli municipal council in Rane`s Sindhudurg district, joined Congress in presence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre at a function held at the party office here.
"Parkar has joined Congress as he felt that Congress is the only party for doing constructive work," Rane told reporters.
"We have no opponent left, with Parkar joining Congress. I wish him all the best," Rane said, hoping Parkar would strengthen the party in the coastal region.
In July 2011, Parkar was appointed General Secretary of NCP which earlier had late Gurunath Kulkarni, another leader from Konkan, on the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report