Former Rane detractor quits NCP, joins Congress
Mumbai: In a setback for NCP in coastal Konkan, a known former political rival of Maharashtra Industries Minister Narayan Rane, on Wednesday joined Congress.
45-year-old Sandesh Parkar, who headed the Kankavli municipal council in Rane`s Sindhudurg district, joined Congress in presence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre at a function held at the party office here.
"Parkar has joined Congress as he felt that Congress is the only party for doing constructive work," Rane told reporters.
"We have no opponent left, with Parkar joining Congress. I wish him all the best," Rane said, hoping Parkar would strengthen the party in the coastal region.
In July 2011, Parkar was appointed General Secretary of NCP which earlier had late Gurunath Kulkarni, another leader from Konkan, on the post.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India