Four arrested for forcing newly married to end life over dowry in Maha
Thane: The Thane police arrested four members of a family here on Tuesday including a couple on charges of allegedly harassing a young married women and forcing her to end her life under duress for more dowry, the police said.
Police station inspector PT Kale of the Kalwa police station told PTI that the victim`s family and those arrested lived in the Atkondeshwar Nagar of Kalwa.
The victim Rinki Rajesh Gupta (23) was married to one Rajesh Gupta (27) on June 07, 2011.
Within a couple of months after the marriage her in-laws began haressing the girl demanding more dowry, which she could not not fulfill.
They also wanted a sum of Rs 5 lakh from Rinki to fund Rajesh`s foreign visit, according to a complaint by the victim`s brother Ashok Gupta, who is a Navi Mumbai resident.
The torture increased day by day and on Saturday she doused herself in kerosene and set herself on fire after which she was badly burnt, the police said.
She was rushed to the Thane civil hospital for treatment where she died today, the police said, adding that her in-laws were arrested today by the Kalwa police.
The names of those arrested are Rajesh Gupta (27), his mother Gayatri Devi Gupta (45), his father Ramchandra Gupta (50) and his brother Brijesh Gupta (23), who have been charged under Section 498-A and Section 306 read with Section 34 of the Indian Penal Code, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read