Four arrested for rape of inmates at Navi Mumbai orphanage
Mumbai: Four persons, including founder
director of a private-run orphanage home, have been arrested
in connection with the rape of five mentally challenged female
inmates there, three of them minors, police said on Saturday.
The orphanage at Kalamboli area in Navi Mumbai is run by
a private organisation, Kalyani Mahila Bal Seva Sanstha.
"The organisation`s founder Ramchandra Karanjule, his
wife Surekha (director of the sanstha), Ramchandra`s daughter
Kalyani (president of the sanstha) and caretaker Sonali Badte
were arrested last night," Navi Mumbai Deputy Police
Commissioner Ankush Shinde said.
All four were produced before a local court which
remanded them in police custody till March 15, the DCP added.
They were booked under IPC Sections 376 (rape), 109
(punishment for abetment in an offence) and 114 (abettor
present when offence is committed).
The incident came to light during a recent inspection of
the orphanage by members of the State Government-appointed
Child Welfare Committee (CWC) following receipt of complaints
against the organisation, police said.
Nineteen mentally challenged female inmates were sent
for a medical examination and it was found that five of them,
including three minors, had been raped, police said.
Raigad district CWC Chairperson Neela Tulpule had lodged
a complaint with the police about the alleged sexual abuse
following which an FIR was registered, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon