Four more TADA convicts surrender in 1993 blasts case
Mumbai: Besides actor Sanjay Dutt, four other convicts in the 1993 bomb blast case on Thursday surrendered before a designated TADA court which took them into custody to serve their remaining sentence.
The convicts Essa Memon, Kersi Adjania, Yusuf Nulwala and Altaf Sayyed Shaikh surrendered as the Supreme Court had rejected their appeals against conviction.
Judge GA Sanap allowed Memon, Adjania and Nulwala to take medicines in jail.
Two other convicts, Zebunisa Kazi and Sharif (Dada) Parkar, are likely to surrender tomorrow.
Essa is the brother of prime absconding accused Tiger Memon. He is suffering from brain tumour and had earlier refused to get operated. TADA court had sentenced him to life imprisonment and the apex court had confirmed the punishment awarded to him.
83-year-old Kersi, who had destroyed the AK-56 rifle possessed by Sanjay Dutt, in his workshop, was awarded one- year jail term. He has already spent three to four months in jail.
Nulwala had picked up the AK-56 rifle from the house of Sanjay Dutt as per the instructions of the actor and given the weapon to Kersi to destroy it. Nulwala was awarded a five-year term, of which he has already spent 18 months in jail.
Altaf Shaikh was convicted for possessing hand grenades in notified area of TADA. He was awarded five years` imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!