Four women raped every day in Maharashtra in 2012
Mumbai: At least four women were raped in Maharashtra every day in 2012, the state legislative Assembly was informed on Monday.
Altogether 1,704 incidents of rape were reported in the state in 2012, out of which 924 victims, more than half, were minor girls.
In a written reply to a question asked by Anil Kadam (Shiv Sena), Home Minister R R Patil said 127 victims were girls below the age of 12, while 188 were aged between 12 and 14 years.
The minister said 14,414 rape cases, 31,412 cases of molestation and 9,480 of eve-teasing were pending in courts.
In order to increase the conviction rate, the government has appointed legal officers in all courts who will act as coordinators between the complainants, witnesses and prosecution lawyers, he said.
Between 2005 and 2011, there were 10,837 incidents of rape in the state, Patil said adding, for speedy trial of cases of crime against women, 13 special courts have been set up.
The government has also decided to start 100 fast track courts over the next five years.
Cases pending for more than a year will be tried in fast track courts, he said.
Out of the 100 fast track courts proposed, process of setting aside 25 courts for trial of cases of crime against women is underway, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!