Funds not a constraint to complete Ambedkar memorial: Maharashtra
Nagpur: Maharashtra government is committed to assisting in completion of a grand Babasaheb Ambedkar memorial here and required funds to the tune of Rs 1.5 crore would be allocated this year, Minister for Social Justice Shivajirao Moghe said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was also keen on early completion of the memorial which would be a magnificent piece of monument in Asia, he said.
Moghe was addressing a function organised to mark the `Dhamma Chakra Pravartan` day which commemorates embracing of Buddhism by Ambedkar.
The chief architect of the Constitution embraced Buddhism along with lakhs of followers at Deekshabhoomi here on October 14, 1956, which coincided with the Dussehra.
Funds will not be a constraint in completion of the work at Deekshabhoomi, he maintained.
Former Kerala Governor and Chairman of Ambedkar Smarak Samiti R S Gavai, BJP President Nitin Gadkari and Mayor Anil Sole were prominent among those present on the occasion.
Moghe, who also holds the De-Addiction portfolio, appealed to Dalit community members to shun liquor and remain focused on achieving the goals set by the late leader.
He said the Chief Minister has approved a grant of Rs 40 crore for setting up a museum of Ambedkar in Chicholi near here. The museum will house personal belongings of the Dalit icon which had been preserved by his aide Wamanrao Godbole.
Moghe called on followers of Ambedkar to not just worship his idol but also inculcate his teachings.
The Ambedkar-drafted Constitution has helped Indian democracy to not only survive but also thrive. This was in sharp contrast to some neighbouring countries, which saw instability and military rule, the Minister stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire