Funds not a constraint to complete Ambedkar memorial: Maharashtra
Nagpur: Maharashtra government is committed to assisting in completion of a grand Babasaheb Ambedkar memorial here and required funds to the tune of Rs 1.5 crore would be allocated this year, Minister for Social Justice Shivajirao Moghe said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was also keen on early completion of the memorial which would be a magnificent piece of monument in Asia, he said.
Moghe was addressing a function organised to mark the `Dhamma Chakra Pravartan` day which commemorates embracing of Buddhism by Ambedkar.
The chief architect of the Constitution embraced Buddhism along with lakhs of followers at Deekshabhoomi here on October 14, 1956, which coincided with the Dussehra.
Funds will not be a constraint in completion of the work at Deekshabhoomi, he maintained.
Former Kerala Governor and Chairman of Ambedkar Smarak Samiti R S Gavai, BJP President Nitin Gadkari and Mayor Anil Sole were prominent among those present on the occasion.
Moghe, who also holds the De-Addiction portfolio, appealed to Dalit community members to shun liquor and remain focused on achieving the goals set by the late leader.
He said the Chief Minister has approved a grant of Rs 40 crore for setting up a museum of Ambedkar in Chicholi near here. The museum will house personal belongings of the Dalit icon which had been preserved by his aide Wamanrao Godbole.
Moghe called on followers of Ambedkar to not just worship his idol but also inculcate his teachings.
The Ambedkar-drafted Constitution has helped Indian democracy to not only survive but also thrive. This was in sharp contrast to some neighbouring countries, which saw instability and military rule, the Minister stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India