Funds not a constraint to complete Ambedkar memorial: Maharashtra
Nagpur: Maharashtra government is committed to assisting in completion of a grand Babasaheb Ambedkar memorial here and required funds to the tune of Rs 1.5 crore would be allocated this year, Minister for Social Justice Shivajirao Moghe said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was also keen on early completion of the memorial which would be a magnificent piece of monument in Asia, he said.
Moghe was addressing a function organised to mark the `Dhamma Chakra Pravartan` day which commemorates embracing of Buddhism by Ambedkar.
The chief architect of the Constitution embraced Buddhism along with lakhs of followers at Deekshabhoomi here on October 14, 1956, which coincided with the Dussehra.
Funds will not be a constraint in completion of the work at Deekshabhoomi, he maintained.
Former Kerala Governor and Chairman of Ambedkar Smarak Samiti R S Gavai, BJP President Nitin Gadkari and Mayor Anil Sole were prominent among those present on the occasion.
Moghe, who also holds the De-Addiction portfolio, appealed to Dalit community members to shun liquor and remain focused on achieving the goals set by the late leader.
He said the Chief Minister has approved a grant of Rs 40 crore for setting up a museum of Ambedkar in Chicholi near here. The museum will house personal belongings of the Dalit icon which had been preserved by his aide Wamanrao Godbole.
Moghe called on followers of Ambedkar to not just worship his idol but also inculcate his teachings.
The Ambedkar-drafted Constitution has helped Indian democracy to not only survive but also thrive. This was in sharp contrast to some neighbouring countries, which saw instability and military rule, the Minister stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight
- Canada reaffirms support for India's NSG membership bid