Gadchiroli arms haul: Assistant sub-inspector held
Gadhiroli: An assistant sub-inspector of the Arms section of police was arrested in connection with the cache of explosives recovered from a well behind the police headquarters here.
Omprakash Singh Thakur, posted at the police headquarters, was formally arrested yesterday after he was discharged from a local hospital where he got himself admitted on June 23, an official release said on Thursday.
Thakur was produced before a local court which remanded him in police custody till July 1.
Police on June 6 had recovered 513 live rounds of guns such as 7.62 mm SLR, AKM, INSAS, 303 rifle, 78 empty cases, a walkie-talkie battery, an SLR magazine, a bomb case, a detonator box, live grenades and some explosive material, after pumping out water from the well, located in the farm behind the head office.
The district has a considerable Naxal presence.
In a separate case, police recently nabbed four persons, including a Congress leader and a medical officer, under stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) for allegedly supplying arms and ammunition to Maoists while two more accused are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?