Gadchiroli arms haul: Assistant sub-inspector held
Gadhiroli: An assistant sub-inspector of the Arms section of police was arrested in connection with the cache of explosives recovered from a well behind the police headquarters here.
Omprakash Singh Thakur, posted at the police headquarters, was formally arrested yesterday after he was discharged from a local hospital where he got himself admitted on June 23, an official release said on Thursday.
Thakur was produced before a local court which remanded him in police custody till July 1.
Police on June 6 had recovered 513 live rounds of guns such as 7.62 mm SLR, AKM, INSAS, 303 rifle, 78 empty cases, a walkie-talkie battery, an SLR magazine, a bomb case, a detonator box, live grenades and some explosive material, after pumping out water from the well, located in the farm behind the head office.
The district has a considerable Naxal presence.
In a separate case, police recently nabbed four persons, including a Congress leader and a medical officer, under stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) for allegedly supplying arms and ammunition to Maoists while two more accused are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened