Gadchiroli arms haul: Assistant sub-inspector held
Gadhiroli: An assistant sub-inspector of the Arms section of police was arrested in connection with the cache of explosives recovered from a well behind the police headquarters here.
Omprakash Singh Thakur, posted at the police headquarters, was formally arrested yesterday after he was discharged from a local hospital where he got himself admitted on June 23, an official release said on Thursday.
Thakur was produced before a local court which remanded him in police custody till July 1.
Police on June 6 had recovered 513 live rounds of guns such as 7.62 mm SLR, AKM, INSAS, 303 rifle, 78 empty cases, a walkie-talkie battery, an SLR magazine, a bomb case, a detonator box, live grenades and some explosive material, after pumping out water from the well, located in the farm behind the head office.
The district has a considerable Naxal presence.
In a separate case, police recently nabbed four persons, including a Congress leader and a medical officer, under stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) for allegedly supplying arms and ammunition to Maoists while two more accused are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Novak Djokovic beats scare, Rafael Nadal eases at revamped US Open
- Colombia ceasefire ends half-century war with FARC
- Embarrassment for Congress as Navjot Singh Sidhu's wife criticises Amarinder Singh
- Why cholera is more deadly for people with type O blood
- US Open: Andy Murray, Serena Williams swing into action on Day 2