Gadchiroli arms haul: Assistant sub-inspector held
Gadhiroli: An assistant sub-inspector of the Arms section of police was arrested in connection with the cache of explosives recovered from a well behind the police headquarters here.
Omprakash Singh Thakur, posted at the police headquarters, was formally arrested yesterday after he was discharged from a local hospital where he got himself admitted on June 23, an official release said on Thursday.
Thakur was produced before a local court which remanded him in police custody till July 1.
Police on June 6 had recovered 513 live rounds of guns such as 7.62 mm SLR, AKM, INSAS, 303 rifle, 78 empty cases, a walkie-talkie battery, an SLR magazine, a bomb case, a detonator box, live grenades and some explosive material, after pumping out water from the well, located in the farm behind the head office.
The district has a considerable Naxal presence.
In a separate case, police recently nabbed four persons, including a Congress leader and a medical officer, under stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) for allegedly supplying arms and ammunition to Maoists while two more accused are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened