Gadkari seeks all-party support on Vidarbha statehood issue
Nagpur: Former BJP president Nitin Gadkari has appealed to all political parties to lend support to the issue of carving out a separate Vidarbha state out of Maharashtra.
"If all parties come together, no one can stop Vidarbha from becoming a separate state," Gadkari said while speaking at an all-party meeting organised by Vidarbha Economic Development (VED) Council last night.
The BJP would support the motion for Vidarbha statehood, if it was tabled in Parliament, he said.
Maharashtra BJP unit president Devendra Fadnavis said he would even resign (from his post as a MLA) for supporting the cause of Vidarbha statehood.
"But, the right time for resignation is yet to come," Fadnavis said.
Instead of waiting for backlog to be removed, a separate state of Vidarbha would boost development of the region, he opined.
Senior Congress leader and Maharashtra minister Nitin Raut said all political leaders of Vidarbha should create a pressure group for demanding statehood for the region.
Food and Civil Supplies Minister and senior NCP leader Anil Deshmukh alleged that some leaders took up the issue of separate Vidarbha only when they lost ministerial posts.
He appealed to all leaders and elected representatives from the region to come together for the cause.
Leaders of various parties including BJP, Congress and others were present during the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why