`Gandhi for Tomorrow` theme park at Sewagram
Nagpur: The Sewagram Ashram in neighbouring Wardha district where Mahatma Gandhi stayed for six years after the Dandi March, is all set to become a major tourist attraction with a `Gandhi for Tomorrow` theme park being developed there at an estimated cost of Rs 62 crore.
The major attraction of `Gandhi for Tomorrow` is an international convention centre worth Rs 95 crore. This will be an appropriate memorial when the place is celebrating 75 years of Gandhiji`s stay in the area here, Wardha District Collector Nawin Sona said.
He said the district administration was in the process of acquiring 10 acres of land for the theme park and the Maharashtra government has already released Rs 1.2 crores from the budgeted funds.
The theme park will depict that Gandhi was in favour of appropriate technology and not against technology.
The state government will be spending a total of Rs 537 crores for developing Sewagarm, Paunar (from where Bhoodan leader Acharya Vinoba Bhave launched his land agitation) and the Wardha township, along with other projects including centres for science and local artisans, the Collector said.
A total of 27 places will be developed including a `heritage walk` route, he said.
Minister of State for Finance and district Guardian minister Rajendra Mulak, who is monitoring the project, said the convention centre will include an auditorium and study centre for those keen to learn Gandhian thoughts along with hostel facility etc.
Besides, Gandhian arts, culture and technology will also be developed, he said.
Plans are also afoot for a four-lane Nagpur-Wardha road `Ahinsa Marg` which connects Sewagram.
The Sewagram Ashram will remain untouched and its adjoining land is being acquired to develop these world class facilities, Mulak added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town