Gandhian philosophy for Nagpur sex workers
Nagpur: A group of 40 commercial sex
workers from a red light area of the city have been given a
course in Gandhian thought and are now engaged in spreading
AIDS awareness among their colleagues.
It was during a programme on the death anniversary of
the Mahatma in January that a local NGO, Sahyog Trust, and the
Indian Red Cross Society decided to impart Gandhian philosophy
to the sex workers.
Though the initial response was not very encouraging,
the Trust did not give up and managed to convince them,
trustee of Sahyog Trust Ravindra Bhusari said.
In the beginning, the CSWs were sceptical about the
use of the studies.
However, Bhusari and others managed to convince them
saying the studies might help them lead a better life and in
upbringing their children in a more efficient way.
The organisations also held screenings of films
including the Sanjay Dutt starrer `Lage Raho Munna Bhai`. This
made them interested in taking up the course in Gandhian
The six-week course started in June. However, the
trust realised that most of the `students` were largely
illiterate, which is why, emphasis was given on audio-visual
An exam was conducted in `Gandhian Thought` early this
month and about 22 of the sex workers cleared it. Instead of
awarding certificates to them, the organisers presented them a
with a set of clothes at a function.
A majority of sex workers, who completed the course
belong to Chhattisgarh, Orissa and West Bengal, Bhusari said.
These `Gandhians` are now engaged in spreading AIDS
awareness and anti-addiction drive among the CSW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi