Gangster Abu Salem shot inside Taloja prison, injured
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, was on Thursday attacked inside Taloja Central Jail in neighbouring Navi Mumbai, police said.
According to police, Salem was shot by Devendra Jagtap, an accused in the advocate Shahid Azmi murder case.
Salem sustained injury to his hand as Jagtap fired one round.
This is the second attack on Salem inside a jail after he was deported from Portugal in 2005. He had faced attack at the Arthur Road jail here in 2010.
The incident took place at about 8.30 this evening, police said, adding that they were also probing how a firearm reached Jagtap inside the prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves