Gangster Ashwin Naik held in threat case
Mumbai: Gangster-turned-builder Ashwin Naik was on Monday arrested in a death threat case soon after he was sent to judicial custody by a court in an extortion case, a third case registered against him in this month alone, police said.
Naik was arrested for threatening a businessman at gun point for demanding his share of Rs 16 lakh from his partner, a crime branch officer said, adding that, "The gangster was remanded in police custody till July 2 in this third case."
According to police, the complainant had entered into a retail business in 2010 and had a partner. Due to business disputes, the complainant decided to part ways with his partner and demanded his share of Rs 16 lakh.
However, whenever the victim asked for the money, his partner avoided him citing various reasons. On December 24, 2011, the victim was called to a place at N M Joshi marg area in central Mumbai by his partner, who later took him to the residence of Naik in the same locality.
Naik`s men had threatened the victim at gun point saying that he should not seek the money from his partner and the victim was made to sign on a related document before the gangster.
However, after reading news reports about two cases of extortion registered against Naik, the victim garnered courage and complained to police explaining his case, resulting in the arrest of Naik today.
Complainant`s partner and Naik`s two associates are wanted in this case.
In the first week of June, police had registered a case of extortion against Naik for allegedly assaulting a civic contractor. But he was granted anticipatory bail by a Session court on June 6.
The same day, police had nabbed him for allegedly extorting about Rs three crore from a builder. In this second case, the cops produced him in the court today as his police custody was over. The court subsequently sent him in judicial custody following which the cops held the gangster in the third case.
Crime branch said they had received a few more applications complaining against Naik and they were verifying the complaints.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’