Gangster Santosh Shetty chargesheeted in Maha
Mumbai: The Crime Branch Tuesday filed a chargesheet against notorious underworld don Santosh Shetty under the provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA).
"We filed the chargesheet in the special MCOCA court," a senior police official said.
According to police, a city-based businessman was called to Bangkok and was allegedly kidnapped for a ransom of Rs 15 crore by Shetty. The case was later handed over to the anti-extortion cell of the crime branch.
Shetty, who was wanted in several cases including contract killing and drug smuggling, had been arrested by Thai Police in Bangkok in August 2011 and deported to India.
Shetty formed his own gang after parting ways from Chhota Rajan in 2004 and was actively involved in extortions, kidnappings and contract killings, police said.
Shetty was earlier lodged in Nasik Jail after his conviction under the Narcotics Act for five years. However, he went to Bangkok after being released on parole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate