Gangster Santosh Shetty chargesheeted in Maha
Mumbai: The Crime Branch Tuesday filed a chargesheet against notorious underworld don Santosh Shetty under the provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA).
"We filed the chargesheet in the special MCOCA court," a senior police official said.
According to police, a city-based businessman was called to Bangkok and was allegedly kidnapped for a ransom of Rs 15 crore by Shetty. The case was later handed over to the anti-extortion cell of the crime branch.
Shetty, who was wanted in several cases including contract killing and drug smuggling, had been arrested by Thai Police in Bangkok in August 2011 and deported to India.
Shetty formed his own gang after parting ways from Chhota Rajan in 2004 and was actively involved in extortions, kidnappings and contract killings, police said.
Shetty was earlier lodged in Nasik Jail after his conviction under the Narcotics Act for five years. However, he went to Bangkok after being released on parole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS