Gangster Santosh Shetty chargesheeted in Maha
Mumbai: The Crime Branch Tuesday filed a chargesheet against notorious underworld don Santosh Shetty under the provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA).
"We filed the chargesheet in the special MCOCA court," a senior police official said.
According to police, a city-based businessman was called to Bangkok and was allegedly kidnapped for a ransom of Rs 15 crore by Shetty. The case was later handed over to the anti-extortion cell of the crime branch.
Shetty, who was wanted in several cases including contract killing and drug smuggling, had been arrested by Thai Police in Bangkok in August 2011 and deported to India.
Shetty formed his own gang after parting ways from Chhota Rajan in 2004 and was actively involved in extortions, kidnappings and contract killings, police said.
Shetty was earlier lodged in Nasik Jail after his conviction under the Narcotics Act for five years. However, he went to Bangkok after being released on parole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!