Gave permission to Ajit Pawar to resign: Sharad Pawar
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said he had given "permission" to Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who is facing allegations of irregularities in irrigation projects, to resign from his post.
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar told PTI over phone that Ajit, who is his nephew, had called him yesterday and sought permission to quit from the post.
Ajit Pawar resigned as Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister following allegations of irregularities in clearing irrigation projects worth thousands of crore of rupees during his tenure as Water Resources Minister.
The Union Minister said Ajit told him that he was ready for a probe and confident of coming out clean in the alleged "irrigation scam" during his tenure as the state`s Water Resources Minister.
Reports had it that Ajit Pawar, who was Water Resources Minister between 1999 and 2009, had approved 38 projects worth Rs 20,000 crore in 2009 without clearance of Governing Council of Vidarbha Irrigation Development Corporation (VIDC).
The NCP supremo said Ajit felt it was improper for him to continue in office while allegations against him were being probed.
"I will stand vindicated," Ajit reportedly told the senior Pawar.
The Union Agriculture Minister is in Kolkata to attend a conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Indian History gives way to Marx, Hitler in Tripura textbooks
- Delhi HC puts on hold JNU action against Umar, Anirban
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 2: GL vs SRH – 5 facts you must know ahead of virtual semi-final
- China to send lunar probe 'Chang'e 5' on moon!
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 30. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in