Gave permission to Ajit Pawar to resign: Sharad Pawar
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said he had given "permission" to Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who is facing allegations of irregularities in irrigation projects, to resign from his post.
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar told PTI over phone that Ajit, who is his nephew, had called him yesterday and sought permission to quit from the post.
Ajit Pawar resigned as Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister following allegations of irregularities in clearing irrigation projects worth thousands of crore of rupees during his tenure as Water Resources Minister.
The Union Minister said Ajit told him that he was ready for a probe and confident of coming out clean in the alleged "irrigation scam" during his tenure as the state`s Water Resources Minister.
Reports had it that Ajit Pawar, who was Water Resources Minister between 1999 and 2009, had approved 38 projects worth Rs 20,000 crore in 2009 without clearance of Governing Council of Vidarbha Irrigation Development Corporation (VIDC).
The NCP supremo said Ajit felt it was improper for him to continue in office while allegations against him were being probed.
"I will stand vindicated," Ajit reportedly told the senior Pawar.
The Union Agriculture Minister is in Kolkata to attend a conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender