Gawli gang member arrested for demanding ransom
Thane: A 38-year-old man, said to be a member of the Arun Gawli gang, has been arrested by the anti-extortion cell of Thane crime branch for allegedly demanding a ransom of Rs five lakh from a Dombivali-based hotel-owner, police said.
Vijay Vasant Devlekar, resident of Dombivali, was arrested yesterday on the complaint of the hotel owner, D Pandurang (50).
Pandurang owns hotel `Raj Mudra` in Dombivali east.
Devlekar and his accomplice, identified as Shekhar Bansode who is lodged in a Mumbai jail, allegedly called the hotel-owner several times to demand the ransom last month, saying that they were members of Arun Gawli gang.
The sleuths of anti-extortion cell traced the phone calls and arrested Devlekar from Dombivali.
Police has sought the custody of Bansode, a Mumbai resident who is currently lodged in Arthur road jail in connection with the a gangwar-related shoot-out.
"We have demanded his custody," senior police inspector N Kadam said.
According to police, the accused and the complainant lived in same `chawl` (colony) in childhood, and they knew that after becoming turning a businessman Pandurang had become financially well-off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh