German bakery blast adv resigns from minority cell of Maha NCP
Pune: The advocate, representing the German Bakery blast accused Himayat Baig, has resigned his post as general secretary of the minority cell of Maharashtra NCP, claiming that his move was prompted by "higher ups" in the party, displeased with his taking the brief.
A Rehman, a senior lawyer had appeared on behalf of Baig on September 20 before the magistrate hearing the case, ignoring an appeal issued by Pune Bar Association (PBA) asking fraternity members to refrain from representing the accused in view of the "anti-national" nature of the crime.
Rehman`s decision to take up the case evoked vociferous protests from members of PBA even as the association president Milind Pawar clarified that the appeal was on "moral grounds" and not binding individually.
Rehman told a news agency that he had not resigned from primary membership of NCP and had only quit his minority cell post following the development.
"I have sent my resignation as general secretary of the minority cell of state NCP to Habib Fakib who is its president. He, has, however not accepted it so far," he added.
Asked as to why he wanted to quit the post, the lawyer said, "Habib told me that my decision to represent Baig has not gone down well with the state party bosses and it would be better if I submit my resignation."
The terror attack that took place at the Pune eatery on February 13 claimed 17 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you